Sunday, April 21, 2013

My First Hometown Visit after Typhoon Pablo.


I never had the chance to visit Cateel immediately after Typhoon Pablo. In March 30 of this year I finally took that courage to face what the storm did to our hometown and its nearby municipalities. Deep in my heart I know this too shall pass. There are things God would allow to happen in our lives. I have been through a lot of storms but this one is literally a real STORM and His name is Pablo. I only knew Pablo as an important character in one of my kids' favorite group Backyardigan. On a serious note.. I believed when one has faith in God, He can boldly  say........
I will soar with God above the storms....
On our way to Cateel via Mati, I could not stop my self from taking these photos of my favorite island  San Victor  in Baganga and  the mangroves. I was crying deep within.


I went to this island  many times with my UCPB family and friends from high school and college. This used to be in lush.






We went straight to Barangay Bay-Bay for Help Cateel's tree planting activity in  quest to rebuild our town. I am glad to be a part of this activity graced by more than 300 participants.

We also had feeding program for the kids. Surely they enjoyed lechon manok and hot dogs.

After the activity, I thought It was about time to face reality in my  personal matters. I went straight to Bag-idanan farm where my Mom is now living. We were not able to have our house repaired in Poblacion for several reasons. I was glad to see the rice field. I knew harvest time was nearing.


I was filled with admiration to  see this farm house made of coco lumber built by my cousins. Some of the materials  like the glass used for the window were salvaged from the other house destroyed by Typhoon Pablo.

Kay-Kay my sister's golden retriever , a survivor of Typhoon Pablo. I made sure she has enough food to eat.


When I entered this farm house, I noticed few books left in this shelf. Glad to find my college work book, one of my favorite books and my sister's year book.

This is my college workbook in 1990. I flashed back the memories ,  classmates I had and the teacher for this subject, none other than Father Malley of Ateneo de Davao University. Further, I was reminded by the verse I wrote in this cover. Such a reminder from above.
I have been looking for this book. I digested the insights of this book while I was watching Lexia who was hospitalized in Davao Doctors few years ago. One of the best books I have read.
Spark '93. My sister's year book ( San Pedro Davao College).


So happy to see this important treasure from my DAD. I believed this is more than a century old thing, considered an heirloom for us.

I had a good talk with my Mom ( Mamay) that night and I had a good night sleep. Enjoyed using the mosquito net. I remembered my child hood days.  And when I woke up the next day, this was the view that greeted me.
 There's always that promise of a new day.
This is what happened to our coconut farm. Trees standing can now be counted.
Mamay started her container gardening while we are doing clearing  in other areas specially  the hills. Now that I am half of my aging process, gardening is close to my heart. 
We tried growing string beans in container and the taste is far different from the ones we bought in the market. Surely, the homegrown are free from pesticides/fertilizers. This one is truly organic. My Mom is using vermicast as her fertilizer. We have  helpful crawling friends ( african night crawlers)  who are producing their waste.  I hope to buy more of them.

I brought this Kalamansi ( Lemon) from Davao City. A typhoon Pablo survivor. We planted this last year. I pray that this  plant  and other plants will grow continuously. 

So fresh. This one is best cooked with sardines. In our own dialect.. " Solved Da".




After breakfast, I visited our site in  Poblacion. I already had an idea how it looked like. However to see it personally is totally a different thing. I had mixed emotions.   I missed our house. This used to be my kid's play pen.  I do not know when can I sit again in the veranda while watching  the dawn of the day broke down.  ( Our house was totally devastated).

Tugki Rio Vista. I know in time my nieces and nephews will rebuild this.


I went home the next day. It was an Easter Sunday. What a way to celebrate the season with harvest in the farm. 





Upward Gaze:
Lord we thank you for being gracious to us. We praise you for your unfailing LOVE. Even in the midst of our storms Lord, We believe we will soar with  you above it all. This is my prayer Lord. Empower all Cateelenos to rebuild what were lost, the farms, the livelihood, the houses and everything that needs to be restored. Lord You are a God of restoration.  You are a faithful God. Thank You Lord. In Jesus Name I  pray Amen.



2 comments:

  1. I am very happy that finally you braved the challenge of making this journey Ga. :) Your words are very encouraging Ga. :) Pablo may be the worst thing that happened to us but he ca n never bring us down. We are cateelenos - bigger, braver and bolder than PABLO :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MP. I am in agreement with you. Cateelenos .. yes.... bigger, braver and bolder. I pray that Cateelenos will be more discerning, more driven to seek first God in their lives. Thanks for your time MP.

      Delete