Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Roots, My Family

I would like to start travelling inward by tracing my roots. My father (Juan Serra Dacuycuy, Sr.) who was a half century older  then  got married to my mother (Cecilia Rosalejos Caayon). I certainly believed that it was not love at first sight as my Mom who was very young ( 22 year old) had a young boyfriend as well.
I guess there are just marriages not made in heaven but built by man on earth to be in heaven. Obviously it was an arranged marriage. Who would ever  thought that a landlord would fall in love with his tenant’s daughter?  At one point on  bended knees  he sought the hand of my mother from my grandfather ( Lolo Ulping).

My father’s marriage to my Mom was his second marriage. That makes me and my two sisters Joancille   ( a registered nurse now in Florida, USA)  and Joannette ( a blue baby girl who passed away in 1987) a legitimate children.

Definitely   it was not a love story like Romeo and Juliet or  a love affair to remember. However on May 11, 1971 a  wedding like no other happened.
  
On September 10, 1972, my sister Joancille was born. Joancille’s name  came from the names of Juan and Cecilia combined together.  A very curly haired little girl with a fair skin.
  

On December 13, 1973, another member of the family was added. I always hear people say why me and my sister Joancille looks different.  I have a straight hair and with a darker complexion.
 
I had few photos of our childhood as only the official photographer  owned  a camera in  town.  We hired the famous Mr. Balikbayan in the 70s. I know my fellow Cateelenos  specially of my generation would be in agreement with me.

On January 30, 1975, Joannette, our blue baby sister was born.  We called Joannette "Tete". She's a brilliant child with a unique leadership.
  
                                                                    Three Sisters
Looking back as a child, I do not have photos with my Dad. That is why when Armi  ( My niece) posted this photo in facebook, I got bleary eyed.  I was 6 months I suppose ( 39 years ago)  when this photo was taken. Well, this is our family portrait. The only family portrait I have.  
These  old photographs ( i considered vintage) are precious to me.  These  reconnected  me back  to my roots.  My Dad ( we called him Papay) i believed is always watching me in all my journeys, all my battles.  My Mom, my other pillar of strength has always been with me and will always be with me 'till the end. My sister Joancille though she is far away ( We're like cats and dogs) has her pockets full of prayers.  This is my prayer. That God will write this family in His book of Life and that  one day in heaven too we will all be holding each other's  hands.

2 comments:

  1. You're lucky you have photos of your childhood days. I am not as lucky. There was no photographer in my hometown at the time and my parents could not afford a camera. Hold on to these photos because they bring you happy memories.

    Oh, by the way, I believe, He is writing your family in His book of Life ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... thank you so much. The photos are really precious to me. I transferred many times from one house to another because I had to prioritize the schooling of my kids... these photos have been with me in one of my treasure boxes.
      By the way, it's also my prayer that all of our names be written in God's book of life. I think blogging in heaven is more interesting. More blessing to you and your clan!

      Delete