Sunday, March 24, 2013

Ompo Juan ( Remembering my Hero, Remembering my Dad)


Dads are special, especially mine.

God's unique design on my life I would say started when He had chosen someone to be my   DAD. Because my DAD married my MOM when he was 72 years old while my MOM was 22 ( half century age gap), I had very few memories. This is the only photo I have being carried by my DAD. It makes this photo very special.  

People in our town called him OMPO JUAN.  I wondered why many people called him Ompo Juan. When I leaf the documents I have with me which I treasured for a long long time, now I understand.

My DAD is an Ilocano. My siblings said  I got my fair skin from him.

 
I got these documents below from my half-brother Mano Auxing ( late Judge Auxencio Dacuycuy of Tacloban City). He handed me copy of History of Cateel which Our father wrote which He later improved. Now Mano Auxing passed the book to me with the instruction to improve and update and hopefully one day reproduce and publish. I know we already have copy of this book in national library.

 Had it not been of this document , I will never know that per records Me and my Dad have the same birth dates.

Mano Auxing failed to write my correct name. Instead of Joanille, He wrote Joanette twice, The name of our blue baby sister. 

I tried to retrieve all the documents and things owned by my Dad when he passed away in 1981. I was six years old then. I owned his bed which up to now is still there. Good Typhoon Pablo spared it. Perhaps Pablo knew that bed is important to me. Kindly take a glimpse on these special keepsakes  I have been treasuring all those years.
My Papay and Mamay's Marriage Certificate

In 1956 He was awarded a Papal Cross, Pro Ecclesia Et Pontifice ( for the Church and Papacy) from the Pope. This award is the highest honor given by Roman Catholic Church to distinguished lay persons who have rendered exemplary virtues and apostolic zeal to the church.

He  also wrote poems on his experiences during World War II and taking much interest in religious and political institutions he bagan writing the history of Cateel which were then published in some periodicals and used as textbook by teachers.

As treasurer of the Rizal Civic Organization he was greatly instrumental in the construction of Cateel's Rizal Monument erected in 1936. This answered my question why my Dad's name and my Uncle's name are engraved in this monument. 



In 1995, I received this souvenir book published in  April 28, 1995. I was surprised to see my Dad's name in the list of Roll of Heroes for Liberation of Davao. 





Another photo taken in 1979 with Father Teeny. I do not know if I spelled it right. This priest is a close friend of my DAD.

Another photo taken. This looks like they are being inducted as officers. I really do not know what's behind this photo. 

This is very important keepsake from my DAD. His dictionary. Up to now I am using it. 

His favorite past time. Playing Chess. I recalled his playmate Lolo Eng Hok.

  I have not read any of his poems. I love writing poems too. To my Papay, this poem is for you.
Maybe you can read this from a far. 

Then when I became a second time MOM, that  moment I saw his face in the monitor, I know I would name him JUAN in honor of my DAD.

This is the other JUAN of my LIFE now. My Juan Felix. Juan in honor of my DAD and Felix in honor of my husband's DAD. We simply call him JUAN.
According to  Kuya Danny ( one of the greatest national artists in the country) He looks like        Ompo Juan.




6 comments:

  1. Ompo Juan is the first Cateeliño intellectual who did not only witness and write historical accounts about Cateel, he also contributed to its development. He is also the first literary writer, the first historian, and educator par excellence. I truly admire his genius, his vision, and his passion for our town and its people.

    Thank you very much for sharing some of these historical artifacts about Ompo Juan, Jan, they deserve a special place, like a museum. No doubt, you inherit some of his gifts, particularly in writing and his passion for history, or call it sentimentality for memory, people, objects, and place.

    It is an honor to have known him, as a child up to my teenage life,—the legendary Ompo Juan.

    I hope the little Opo Juan will continue his legacy… :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kuya Dan.... thank you so much. You are an inspiration for this blog. When you told me in one of your emails before ... anak kaw ni Ompo Juan.. I felt at that time you had a special connection with my Dad. I never had the chance to talk to my Dad as a mature individual because he passed away when I was 6 years old. I kept all these old photographs and other keepsake.. This is my only way of having him around. Up to now there is that child in me... always longing to have him.. to have a DAD. I had vain wishes .. wishing for Papay to be around in every important events of my life. I consoled my self with the thought that he is just up there watching me in my day to day activities. I am teary eyed again. Thank you for this wonderful message. The best message I got this easter. Arrived yesterday from Cateel for tree planting and feeding at Bay Bay. I can only say.. i wish i could follow my Dad's footsteps even a fraction. Having his blood running in my veins is truly a gift from above. The unique stamp/design of my life started when God chose Ompo Juan to be my DAD. Many thanks Kuya Dan. I started my Monday morning with this majical encounter. Wow... God bless us all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pleasure is mine, Jan, reading and seeing the photos of a legendary Cateeliño Ompo Juan. I'm sure, he is very proud of you, watching over you up there.

    Take care and best regards to your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanille. This is truly a remarkable way to honor yoir father and his contributions to tje society.
    Nice blog!Keep writing!
    Ate Bing Z.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the typo errors haha

    ReplyDelete