Monday, March 4, 2013

What's inside of your treasure box?

More than a decade ago I received this box from a dear friend named Rona who is now based in New York.  Like our friendship I valued this box. Maybe now she will know (If given the chance to read this post) I used the box as my treasure box.  I considered all the items inside my treasures.  Something I could not trade, something I could not just give away. I will share with you what’s inside this box.



A match sticks  with coins.  This has been with me for 14 years now. It’s very special and significant because me and my husband  ( my boyfriend then) used these match sticks  to light candles  when we both visited the tomb of our respective fathers at the Cateel cemetery. Even though they’re already in the great beyond we believed we need to ask permission from them. I now realized the coins represented the excess amount when we purchased the math sticks at the sari-sari store. 













Our wedding ring was placed in this pouch when we ordered/purchased it.














An array used in our civil wedding.  We hope to have our church wedding one of these days with our kids as flower girl and the ring bearer.



  











These are my pregnancy test kits  (confirmed positive for  Christiana Alexis and Juan Felix  ). These represent  birth of my motherhood journey.















This is the giveaway item  I hand crafted  for my little girl’s (Christiana Alexis) baptism. Together with the little note as my gratitude journal.
















This looks an ordinary cellophane but it’s  very dear to me. I used this material  as  loot bag for my son’s first birthday party.















Yes.. all in one box. I put them all together. When I opened the box yesterday, I was like leafing those significant events.  I believed God enjoyed stamping that greatest design of my life, to be a MOTHER and a WIFE.


Upward Gaze:
Lord I thank you for the privilege of being a wife and a mother. May we ( so with other mothers and wives)  always look up to you for wisdom as we carry out your plans fo us. In  Jesus Name, Amen.

8 comments:

  1. Yes Joan, I remember the box. I got mixed emotions when I read this post. I felt happy that you value simple things that symbolizes our friendship. I felt proud and amazed of the way you have kept such precious memories. At the same time, I felt sad that I could have done the same with my family's important events, but I didn't. I hope someday, I will be there, present, so we have more memories to share as we continue the rest of this life's journey...love u always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Ron.. Thanks for reading.. thanks for your time and friendship. I know we'll last to be friends for always. God already stamped that design. I miss you all!

      Delete
  2. One of best blogposts i read in years Ga. Very heartfelt. Very inspiring also. You really value things a lot, small or big. That explains now how much u value great friendship. Thank u for sharing Ga. I Want u To know i value our friendship So much. Thanks A lot Big Ate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Lan.. I tend to keep everything. I sometimes find it hard to let go even scratch papers.. well we have african night crawlers now who can make use of it. (yaan yang kanami mga wati lan). Thanks also for the friendship. I have different set of friends and I love them all. This freindship we have will surely be treasured forever. This is something I could not contain in a treasure box but definitely be treasured in my heart.

      Delete
  3. You treasure box, Jan, is a small universe that contains the value and meaning of your life and the people around you—family, friendship, love, dreams, sacrifice, longings, and everything that matters to you in life.

    My treasure box contains the faded photographs of my loved ones back home. Every time I open it, I could hear whispers, faint laughter, and, at times, distant cry and sobbing.

    I guess, our own treasure box is a parallel universe that reflects who we are in the real world.

    Thank you so much, Jan, for this sublimely poignant memoir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kuya Dan, really I am bleary eyed now maybe because I could trancend how you feel. I know how you loved your family. It's just so sad that early on they have accomplished God's purposes in their lives. You know I can still imagine the face of your Mom and Lou and even Sally. I should be thanking you now for the friendhip your Mom had with my Mom. We would pass by your house from Poblacion to Bag-idanan and I cherished those moments. Kanami mga stop over... laong pa sag aw. Thanks again. Hope you had fun reading this post. Take care. I believed in heaven too you will be holding each other's hands.

      Delete
  4. So nice to hear that, Jan, you have a nice memory with them. I can't forget the friendship of your mom, Tia Celia, and Mama when I was still very young. They were both so pretty then, crush ng bayan,your mom is still pretty despite her age.

    Thank you for remembering them, I'm so glad.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they're both pretty. Your MoM's kindness will always be remembered Kuya Dan. I guess at one point in trying to escape from my father when He pursued my MOM, your MOM was her refuge. : ) That's the reward of friendship. Thanks for the reply.

      Delete